The Gurley Cumberland Presbyterian Church was added to the Alabama Register of
Landmarks and Heritage November 12, 1987. A summary write-up/sketch is shown
below. The sketch was done by Mr. Ed Rosenfeld as his l974 Christmas Card in
honor of his wife, Julia, and her first church.
As we approach the Century Celebration of MCHS, we can be especially proud of
our church's role in the educational emphasis in the Gurley community - first
through the Robert Donnell High School and Madison County High School and the
From its earliest beginnings as one of the three original
churches established in Gurley in 1892, the Presbyterian church has played an
integral role in the religious and educational development of the community. The
original church site was on Church Street where the Doug Hereford home now
During the early 1900's, as the Presbyterian reformation occurred across the
country, members of the Gurley denomination were also discussing church
government. Growing dissatisfaction, seemingly irreconcilable differences with
the Presbyterian USA faction, and an injunction barring CP's from holding
services in their present church site led to the decision to erect a new
The present structure (pictured above) was built in 1912 on the "garden spot"
property donated by Postmaster Cobb under the guidance of building committee
members A. E. Smith, Henry Smith, J. D. Champion, and Dr. Graham. The church was
The Gurley CP congregation in conjunction with the Robert Donnell Presbytery
instrumental in donating/deeding land to the State for the Madison County High
School and in donating the land and building which facilitated establishment of
a female college in Gurley.
We are all proud of the significant contributions made by the Gurley Cumberland
Presbyterian Church, and take great pride in the outstanding leadership it has
exhibited and in the beautiful example of architecture it represents.